122 articles in category
Page 1 of 5, Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 [Next]
- The Times of India And Volkswagen - Spreading Fear and Speaking Papers
How could the Times of India send an item that could be misused for a dangerous mission in such sensitive times?
- A-vivek of N-Arundhati
When Narundhati treks through the jungles as a guest of Maoists, her biases ignore the blisters on her city feet.
- When will Election Debates Matter in India?
Election debates can help create a level playing field in the flawed Democratic setup in India
- Tharoor, Sania, IPL, and Other National Distractions
People in public office should focus their attention on matters of public concern rather than being a constant distraction, twittering their foibles or phoning them
- Religion - A Powerful Weapon To Tackle Maoists
When the tribal people suffer due to ignorance, the Government suffers due to its prejudice.
- Homosexuality Versus Violation of Privacy
When I read about this case, I hoped that the story would be about how AMU stood by Dr.Siras and how police immediately were looking
- My Name Is Khan - Media Holds India Hostage
Over a period of an entire week, SRK emerged as new age India's freedom fighter against Sena and its goons.
- Haagen-Dazs, Mistaken Cause
Mad that foreigners offended Indian dignity at the new Haagen-Dazs franchise? Not so fast, folks. How about the facts?
- The Times of India - Not For You and Me?
I think responsible organizations and media houses draw their own lines in reporting and journalism.
- Media - Praise Only After Death
The Media reflects the signs of an increasingly over-suspicious and negative attitude breeding in our society.
- Forgive Kasab! Hate his Sin, Not the Sinner!
A man, you and I, are worst monsters in our personal lives! Let's not forget that! Don't condone the Sin, but condone the Sinner, let
- Gwalior Politics and Conspiracies
Is it possible for an ordinary Indian like me to have dreams of being a part of the August body, the Indian Parliament?
- I'm a Blogger - Can I Has Money?
The phenomena of writing and garnering an audience is not entirely about writing as I quite naively imagined until recently
- Movie Review: Oliver Stone's W.: An Unexpected Bush Biopic
W. is a film that provides insight into the psyche of a man whom people have already judged and learned to dismiss
- Sophistry in Indian Media
TOI has mastered the art of sophistry, and their incessant campaigns on every issue are only becoming annoying
- Glorifying the Hack Historian
Romila Thapar was never really a historian.
- Barkha Dutt And NDTV, The Joke Is On You!
So Chyetanya Kunte is the latest victim of media intimidation. I'm not going to rehash the same excellent...
- Ramalinga Raju's Satyam Crimes, Self-Interest, & Moral Paralysis
Holding self-interest as amoral results in moral paralysis. One can no longer say that fraud is wrong irrespective of the motives behind it.
- What if the New York Times Did Not Exist?
What will happen to our web 2.0 world and society at large if the NY Times folds?
- Terrorism - What's Under The Surface?
Terrorism is only a symbol of the sort of world we live inUma Ranganathan
OPINION | Politics: India, Politics: Corruption, Media: Newspapers, Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Relationships, Culture: Essay, Culture: Education, Culture: City Life, BizTech: Globalization, BizTech: Environment, BizTech: Development, BizTech: Consumers, Politics: War on Terror
- Obituary: Sabina Sehgal Saikia
Sabina will be sorely missed in the food writers world.
- Attacks on Churches and Christians in India - Violence in Mangalore
Why are atrocities against Christians being downplayed in the media?Kim
NEWS | Media: Journalism, Media: Events, Media: Citizen Media, Culture: Urban, Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Religion, Culture: Crime, Culture: City Life, Media: News, Media: Newspapers, Politics: Religion, Politics: Peace, Politics: Laws, Politics: India, Politics: Governance, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Elections, Politics: Corruption, Media: Television, Culture: Bureaucracy
- Kindling The E-Book Revolution
Did the Amazon Kindle kindle my enthusiasm for e-books? You betcha!
- Persevere - And Change Your World
If you want to change world views, opinions, thoughts, policies, laws….. There is only one sustainable way…. Persevere.
- Deccan Chronicle And The Naked Art of Selling News
Youngsters like to see naked truth in newspapers, not naked women.
- Indian Media-Leader Oriented, Reader Neglected
All major Indian newspapers with few exceptions have now turned into what is popularly known as "Response run" rather than "editorially run" papers.
- Blogging and Journalism: Amongst the Best the Line is Blurry
The best among both are well grounded in facts, clear, lucid, precise, objective and write for the target audience.
- The Marathi Manoos versus the Thackeray Brand
It might be time to dissociate the identity of the long suffering "Marathi Manus" from the Thackerays.Aditi Nadkarni
OPINION | Culture: Social Issues, Politics: Laws, Politics: World, Politics: South Asia, Politics: Reservations, Politics: Religion, Politics: Peace, Politics: India, Politics: Asia, Media: Newspapers, Media: News, Media: Television, Media: Internet, Media: Magazines, Media: Journalism, Culture: Society
- Urdu Poetry at a Funeral
“Haath lage nirman me, nahi marane, nahi mangane (let's use our hands to create, not beg or beat)”
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and the Beatles
I did manage to spot Paul McCartney, and even exchanged pleasantries with him, while location scouting for a documentary on the pilgrim town.
- What Differentiates Journalists and Bloggers - Money?
The only common thing that I can see in all these definitions is that they write for some medium with some expectation of being read.
- Sri Lanka Plans Ramayana Tourism Package, Seeks India's Help
Life is hilarious, especially when skimming through a newspaper.
- Is The Guardian Seeing Pink Elephants?
It is inexcusable when a popular media form chooses to propagate cultural ignorance.Aditi Nadkarni
OPINION | Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Religion, Culture: Magazines, Politics: Censorship, Politics: Freedom, Politics: India, Politics: Religion, Culture: The Writing Life, Culture: Travel, Culture: Holidays and Observances, Media: Journalism, Media: Magazines, Media: Internet, Media: Newspapers, Media: News, Culture: Desi, Culture: Education, Culture: Festivals, Politics: Peace
- Pakistan - A Conundrum
Pseudo journalists and writers, afflicted with Islamophobia and those who suffer from tunnel-vision syndrome blame the army for all that ails Pakistan
- The Harbhajan Singh-Andrew Symonds Racism Controversy
What its going to come down to is the word of the Australian players against that of Harbhajan Singh.
- Celebrating the Unknown Indian
Celebrities need to be unshackled and the unknown Indian holding things together needs to be celebrated
- Citizens to Turn Bangalore Green
Would suggest they launch an ad campaign – ‘ A Green way to Leave the City; Leave behind a Tree’.
- Bangalore Media: When Hard News Is Difficult To Come By
Surely, no government can generate ‘policy’ stories for the media on a daily basis.
- Violence in Kolkata - The Battle For Bengal
Hardly any condemnation emanates from the mainstream media, liberals, intellectuals, or keepers of the society’s communal conscience.Sandeep
OPINION | Politics: Censorship, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Elections, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Governance, Politics: India, Politics: Laws, Politics: Peace, Politics: Religion, Politics: Asia, Media: Television, Culture: Desi, Culture: Essay, Culture: History, Culture: Religion, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Society, Media: Blogs, Media: News, Media: Newspapers, Politics: South Asia
- Will This Cyber Revolution Fly or Fizzle?
The media in Pakistan turned its guns on its benefactor. It spawned another cyber movement, this one led and aided by bloggers.
- Why I Am Upset With the Indian Media
Why I believe the Indian Media does not 'bite'?
- Macaulay's Legacy - Desi Racism
"We Indians love labels, don’t we? And I don’t mean Guccis and Pradas. I mean labels for people."
- Of Moral Courage and Principles: Whodunnit? in Pakistan
Men (and women) past their prime who had access to the corridors of power should shed their moral ambiguity.
- The Emergency (1975-77): Indian Media's Shameful Era
When officials at the top level are tight-lipped, reporters tap contacts lower down in the official hierarchy, hoping for a possible lead.
- Who Will Listen to Para's Silent Screams?
It is ironic that in a state with a woman as Chief Minister, the women had to organise a "dharna" to be heard?
- Dalton Mcguinty Makes History in Ontario Elections
A decent, low profile politician makes history
- Politics in Pakistan: Beating the Same Tabla But Still No Guinness Record
Jagjit Singh Batalvi tapped his way into the record books, fingering his tabla for a fifth straight day.temporal
OPINION | Culture: Society, Culture: The Writing Life, Culture: Women, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Elections, Politics: Governance, Politics: Pakistan, Politics: World, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Men, Culture: Language, Media: Events, Media: Journalism, Media: Music - Classical (Eastern), Media: Newspapers, Media: Television, Media: Radio, Culture: Bananafish, Culture: Desi, Culture: Humor
- Sunita Williams, Potato Chips, and Space Research
Why not look into ourselves for inspiration, rather than at outer space?
- General Musharraf Can Contest the Presidential Elections in Uniform
There have been other instances of the dichotomy where the up holders of the laws declared publicly to take the law in their own hands.
- Shoaib Malik - An Utterly Needless Controversy
It’s unfortunate that Shoaib’s gaffe came at the time that it did, but let’s not lose sleep over it, shall we?
- Bangladesh's Cartoon Controversy: The Prophet and His Honor
I shudder to think what the Prophet would have made of our efforts to protect his reputation if he were alive.
- M Shamim - Tribute to a Delhi Friend and Film Critic
He was pampered by most Bollywood busybodies; and many held him in high regard.
- Khmer Rouge Leader, Nuon Chea, Brother No. 2, Arrested
The arrest of Nuon Chea, a now obscure leader reminds us that the war against terror is not new.
- Ayodhya Redux?
The perception of Hinduism and Hindu philosophy, Gods, symbols, and icons today is not the same as it was in 1992.Sandeep
OPINION | Media: Television, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Elections, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Governance, Politics: India, Politics: Laws, Politics: Religion, Media: Newspapers, Media: News, Culture: Desi, Culture: Essay, Culture: History, Culture: Religion, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Society, Media: Blogs, Media: Internet, Politics: South Asia
- Freedom Of Speech On The Internet
To expect an uncensored voice on a public forum of media is like eating one's cake and having it too.
- Qualities of a Leader - The Times of India Leadership Campaign
I personally believe that folks at TOI have no clue what leadership is all about. They have no clue what leaders are made of.
- Poetry: edhi's dawn
death, misery and destruction / mixed with pompous declarations / and righteous indignation / all eating into crying trees
- Latest Hyderabad Blasts And Mecca Masjid Blasts - A Possible Connection?
Some interesting information from Eenadu, a Telugu newspaper.