39 articles in category
Page 1 of 2, Go to page: 1, 2 [Next]
- Learning Art
We rely on erasers, encouragement and the infinite patience of the art teacher.
- Graphic Novel Review: Level 10 Studios' Comic Jump
The artwork is sumptuous and visually rich, not quite manga, yet the action-sequences owe a lot to the typical shonen manga series.
- Photo Essay: Courtland Gallery, the Gambier Parry Collection, Islamic Metalwork 3/3
The final photo essay on the Gambier Parry Collection, the Islamic Metalwork collection.
- Photo Essay: London on a Rainy Day, Buildings and Sights
Some views of the buildings in London on a rainy day
- Ideart: Retro Shirt & Kolam
Because the fabric was crumpled and stiff at those wrinkles, the colour caught and skipped in places.
- Photo Essay: Circumambulation of the London Fashion Week
A photo essay of what's outside the London Fashion Week.
- Ideart: Good Karma, Bad Medicine
The best way to communicate this thought may be visual and not verbal.
- Photo Essay: Hotel Russell in London
A photo essay on Hotel Russell in London
- IdeaArt: Rose Garden
A discarded shirt becomes a personal art (and style) statement - here's how.
- Persian Inspired Paradise Gardens
The Persian definition of paradise may surprise you. It means an enclosed area; that has boundaries or walls around it.
- Ideart: Kathakali
I was fascinated by the plethora of colours on the Kathakali costume. This is my tribute to this grand art.
- Sand Art
Muggulu (telugu) Kolam (Tamil) and Rangoli (hindi)
- The Wall Project: BMC Plays Tom Sawyer, Everyone Wins!
Here's the chess board representing order and structure, being ripped apart by a hand (whose model was a street kid called Sultan).
- IDEART: Peacock
The combination of colours you choose, sets the tone for how you interpret purple.
- The Magic of 'Pata Chitra'
'Pata' in Sanskrit means piece of cloth and 'Chitra' means painting or picture.
- I Begin to Understand Mithila Painting
I found myself slipping into the shoes of the painter - what was she thinking, this Mundrika Devi of Jitvarpur Village, when she drew these?
- Give Me a Dhoti to Wear
I wish we could go back to traditional attire like the dhoti or the mundu or the veshti.
- Trident Gurgaon- A Nice Hotel
A review of a hotel in Gurgaon, India
- Born Confused: Hi Dad…er...Mom
So to the All India Eunuch Association Chairperson and the Von Siffers: hold your peace. We are not there yet.
- Why do Women Get More Tax Exemption Than Men?
If you want equal rights, then shouldn't you be allowed to stand up for it and fight?
- The Wired Life
I have come to conclude, never take electrical connections lightly.
- Photo Essay: St Paul's Cathedral, London
St. Paul's cathedral, a Photo Essay
- Movie Review: Jodhaa Akbar - Mystery Solved: Why There Was No Birbal?
Read on and find out why Birbal was not in this movie
- Photo-Essay: The Magical Collection of Ganesh
I see those statues and I feel the love. Perhaps that is worship indeed.
- How Green is My Antilla!
Mukesh Ambani's moral bankruptcy as the Tower of Babel rises in Bombay
- Girish Bharadwaj: An Unsung Hero
Trifle makes perfection but perfection is not a trifle, these words of wisdom apply to this master artisan.
- Longpi Beer Mugs, Anyone?
Indian craft continues to amaze me. Here’s a little known one - Longpi Ham, the lustrous black pottery of Manipur.
- Mr. Rainbow: The Strange Ride of Sir Edwin Lutyens
"Rashtrapati Bhavan in Context: The Work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM", up at the British Council until the 5th of November
- The Ashera - The Latest in Indulgence
What happens to the kittens that don't come out with their stripes and spots in the advertised places?
- Zara, UK Fashion Chain, Withdraws “Swastika” HandBags
Fashion faux pas and social opprobrium
- Book Review: The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
The book is an absolute delight to read with information which ranges from the obvious to the sometimes obscure but sensible.
- Finding Warli Where it Belongs
On my way to Mumbai's Kanheri Caves, I was very pleased to find, for the very first time, Warli art in its natural setting.
- Hijab Haute Couture or Burkha Barbies
Ludicrous conservative fashion and the Islamist revival in Malaysia
- Book Review: John Parkinson's Visual Verse
With the flipping of each page we are transformed to what for many must seem like glimpses of a bygone era.
- Book Review: Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
Romanticism at its best!
- Fuel Efficient Cars: How Far Are We From 100 Miles Per Gallon?
While we dream of a what a futuristic world would be like, in today's world it is within our grasp to reach 100 mpg with
- Is The Indian Media Biased in Favour of Popular Interest News?
How many important news items might have been killed because the media had to devote airtime to one particular popular news item?
- Gaming Console Review: Sony Playstation 3
A comprehensive look at the Sony PlayStation 3, from hardware to software, and why you would want one.
- Predictive Search and Recommendations - Satisfying the Consumer
"Recommendation Systems" - upcoming trend in e-commerce to tackle the problem of finding needles in a haystack!